Reading Council Legionella Prosecution

Reading Borough Council has been taken to court after a 95-year-old man died from Legionnaires’ disease. The source is believed to have been a wash basin tap in the bedroom of his care home.

The Health and Safety Executive is prosecuting the council after a coroner ruled Lewis Payne died on November 1, 2012, of Legionnaires’ Disease caused by Legionella bacteria found in the care home water system.

Mr Payne, of Knights Way, Emmer Green, contracted the deadly bug while staying at the council-run care home The Willows, in Hexham Road, Whitley.

The case is due to begin in October, when the council will be charged with failing to discharge its duty under the Health and Safety at Work Act.